Monday, June 22, 2009

I Can't Believe it's Not Butter! - Château Meric Red Bordeaux Blend 2006

Let's have a toast, this is the first Old World wine I'm reviewing! Woo hoo!

Alright, so I initially wanted to stay away from Old World wines until my palette developed more, but my curiosity got the best of me. I heard from a friend who knew a little bit about wine that the wine made from grapes of the Médoc region were pretty well known. I shrugged and went for it - I was quite pleased with this buy.

    Red Bordeaux Blend, 2006
    Château Meric, France (Subregion Médoc).
    $12
    Consumed: June 22, 2009
    Notes: On the nose, a vibrant and powerful sweetness of fruit - raspberries and blackberries - draws me in. As it hits the palette, I can get leather, and it's pretty acidic. Suddenly, an unexpected shift to an extremely smooth and buttery medium-length finish.






    At first, I thought that I was just imagining the sweetness of the fruit in the aroma. Several minutes later, the wonderful aroma was prominent as ever. It's funny, it smells so sweet to me that I almost want to say that it reminds me of Hawaiian Punch! Maybe it's just me and I'm enjoying the aroma of this wine a bit too much. As much as I'd like to go on and on for pages and pages about the aroma, the buttery finish is an equally big attraction. Despite the initial tannins (the bitterness) and the acidity on the palette, the super smooth finish makes up for it and then some. It reminds me a bit of eating a baked potato with butter (weird, huh?).

Final Verdict: Aroma and the finish are amazing. It costs bit too much for a college student to be buying everyday. Also, I'd try this wine for my own first food pairing suggestion: this wine + steak and potatoes. The buttery finish would complement these foods extremely well. I'll bet you a bottle of wine that there's no way that pairing will fail! :]

1 comment:

  1. You learned macro setting haah.

    I like potatoes and steak.

    ReplyDelete