Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"A tight grape from Iran" - Clos Du Bois Shiraz 2005

New developments for Sweet Child of Wine! My friend Chris is going to be participating in the wine drinking/reviewing. What does that mean for this blog? He's splitting the cost of the wine with me because he'll be drinking when I do, which means we'll go through different wines at twice the previous rate! Awesome, more reviews!

So the title of this post has a short back-story to it. A little over a year ago, some friends and I were drinking a Yellowtail Shiraz. I decided to look up the origins of Shiraz after I had drunk a fair amount of it, and claimed it was "a tight grape from Iran". It's popped up every time I mention Shiraz now, and I've come to like the phrase a lot! :] Onto the Shiraz:

    Shiraz, 2005
    Clos Du Bois, California.
    $13
    Consumed: June 24, 2009
    Nose: Heavy blackberry. Hints of coconut. Palette: First impression - really fruity, of the same blackberry as in the aroma. Fruit disappears, the wine displays its tannins and sharp acidity. Strong black licorice comes in, then disappears with a quick finish. No lingering aftertaste. No bite, easy to drink.





These photos were taken with an iPhone 3GS. The macro looks really good!


    $13 wine? Not my usual splurge, but I wanted to hope to grab a nice Shiraz, since my previous experience with this varietal was with Yellowtail, and you guys already know my opinion on that brand... The first thing that Chris pointed out as soon as I poured a glass was the vivid violet color of the wine. I like the shifting flavors, but it's not quite as dynamic as the Nobilo SB I recently reviewed, nor are the flavors as sharp. In Chris's words, not too exciting; I agree.

Final Verdict: Nice aroma with a decent taste, but not worth the price. I'd buy it again if it were under $10 (maybe $8-9 max), but for $13, I'll stay away from this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment