Monday, June 8, 2009

Meridian Pinot Grigio 2007 + Yellowtail Chardonnay 2007

Big first (real) post! Double wine review because I've already built up a backlog of wines to post about even though I've just started this blog... somehow? Oh right, because it's finals week here at UCLA.

Anyways, these two wines were my gateway dru-- err, wines. As I didn't really know what I was doing when I decided to give wine another shot, I just dove in headfirst (upon a friend's recommendation). Walking down the wine aisle at my local grocery store, I snagged the Meridian Pinot Grigio because my friend's father is fond of the Meridian line. I headed to Trader Joe's the next day, I picked up the Yellowtail Chardonnay, along with two other wines...

Now, let's begin with the feature wines... *drumroll*

    Pinot Grigio, 2007
    Meridian Vineyards, California. $9.
    Consumed: May 31, 2009
    Notes: On the nose, a very sweet peachy fragrance. The taste is very prominent - peaches, citrus. General citrus, comes during the middle, present during the finish. Citrus in the finish seems to hide the bite - makes this wine very smooth to drink. Definitely a good one for someone just getting into wine (like me, har har) because the flavors are prominent enough for the beginner to be aware of, yet is smooth enough to not make you want to turn away from it. I really liked this one. At $9, not exactly the cheapest, but hey, I'll take any good wine under $10 I can find!

Final Verdict: Awesome, worth getting.




    Chardonnay, 2007
    Yellowtail, Australia. $6
    Consumed: June 1, 2009
    Notes: Not much on the nose - just a hint of coconut in the aroma, but almost negligible. It's not complex at all, general citrus. Kind of a bitter finish. Drinkable, but I don't like it. The price could have been a telling sign of things to come, but I was willing to give it a shot - after all, there has to be a reason everyone drinks Yellowtail. Right? Little did I know that Yellowtail is to wine as to what Smirinoff is to vodka: Not terrible, but not great by far. Popular because of good marketing. Bleh, I'm staying away from Yellowtail from now on. I'll gladly eat my words if one of their other varietals is good, but I'm not going to shell out my own money to try them. Anyone care to buy me a (yellowtail) drank?

Final Verdict: Drinkable, but you should stay away.




    Oh, and sorry for the blurry pictures. I'm still getting used to this newfangled thing they call photography.

3 comments:

  1. Hey are you going to put up a rating system or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Final verdict counts as a rating system I think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Final verdict sounds good too. Usually girls who do makeup reviews rate _/10. But I like your final verdict too :)

    I am studying... not physics tho. Redox reactions.

    ReplyDelete