Monday, June 22, 2009

Rolling Out the Red Carpet - Santa Rita Cabernet Sauvignon 2007

The vacation's over and it's about time we get back to the good stuff. I've noticed that I haven't reviewed any red wines in the past posts on this blog, so we're going to change that today! Also, a big thanks to Chris for lending me legit wine glasses! Anyways, first up will be the Cab from Chile:

    Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007
    Santa Rita, Chile.
    $6
    Consumed: June 9, 2009
    Notes: On the nose, a very fruity smell like that of a dark fruit. There's also a light vanilla-like sweet smell present in the background. With the first sip, I notice a rough, almost thick mouthfeel, with the taste having the same black fruit that I smelled. Notes of leather. Finishes quickly, leaving a lingering flavor of blueberries and the skin of red grapes.






    This is a very simple wine, no dynamic changes in flavor. It would have been wonderful if there were, but I can't hope to stumble upon cool wines all the time if I'm trying bottles randomly from the shelf, right? Despite the simplicity of the wine, I found this one to be very solid, especially for the low price of $6. I found that the fruitiness of this wine was really cool - as odd as it sounds, it reminds me of cola-flavored gummy candies. According to some quick research, Cabs are commonly described as having black fruit (blackberries, black cherries, etc.), with various other flavors that would come from processing. The vanilla hints are apparently from the wine sitting in oak barrels! I'm pleased that I was able to get subtle smells like that - no, scratch that, I'm really excited that my palette for wine is starting to develop.

Final Verdict: Very solid for the price. Pretty cheap, good flavors, a decent everyday wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment