Monday, August 17, 2009

Merlot Number Trois - Christian Moueix Merlot 2005

One major thing to note: Around this time, I noticed that I started writing less and less about the wine I review, probably because I've become so accustomed to the base flavors of the respective wine that I don't notice anything but what stands out - maybe this is why professional wine tasters always have such brief comments about their wine? Who knows.

Okay, I'll admit that I don't know anything about French, so the title is hilariously and poorly worded. After a period of drinking cheaper wine that didn't really blow me away, I grabbed this slightly pricier Merlot.

    Merlot, 2005
    Christian Moueix, Bordeaux, France.
    $14
    Consumed: July 1, 2009.
    Nose: Great fruit. Hint of something herbal (anise?), especially prominent on the swirl. Peppery. Palette: Rough mouthfeel. Dry. Quick finish. Very oaky and dry. Surprisingly simple. Definite improvement upon opening up for ~30 minutes.






    I dig the simple label. Makes it look pretty cool and vintage-y.

    Once again, I learn the hard way that price does not always correlate with how good a wine is. It wasn't bad, but it felt lacking for the price.


Final Verdict: Don't get it. Gorgeous aroma, but a bit too boring to be worth the $14. Chris said it best in two words: "very shallow".

No comments:

Post a Comment