Thursday, August 13, 2009

Italian Two-Buck-Chuck Pinot Grigio? - Mezzocorona Pinot Grigio 2008

It's been a long time since I've drank a Pinot Grigio - the last one was a few months ago around the time of the start of this blog. Seeing as how my palette have matured a bit and I've learned more, I decided to check out a bottle of this Pinot Grigio.

    Pinot Grigio, 2008
    Mezzacorona, Italy
    $8
    Consumed: July 13, 2009
    Nose: Pretty standard white wine aroma, good citrus. Very strong alcohol. Palette: Sweet at the beginning, moves into a heavy acidity that is present to mask the heat of the alcohol, acidic finish. There's alot of bite, but there's a good transition of flavors.






    Chris says it should have been cooled, as the lower temperature would help mask the alcohol better in both the taste and smell; I agree with that, but I wanted to try to taste all the flavors.

    It seems a bit too high priced for its quality, but I remembered this article I read a while back on a wine blog somewhere. It explained that because of all the middlemen that imported wine of European origin, a simple $8 wine like this one is in fact the equivalent to the Two-Buck-Chuck offered here in the states, quality wise.

    Apparently I'm terrible at taking pictures with an iPhone. Blurry second picture again.


Final Verdict: Not bad, but not worth the full $8. If you get this, chill before serving. At the same price point, go for the Meridian Pinot Grigio instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment